Sunday, August 8, 2010

This ain't no love song



"I just felt like gettin' my guitar on and singin' a tune, singin' about you. Yeah, feeling good and tappin' my shoes."

As much as I love songs about breakups, lost loves, being a redneck and having big pickup trucks, it's always nice to hear a new theme to a country tune. Songs have always been used to express emotions or ideas, but rarely do you hear a popular song written about music.

At first listen, I hear a guy who needs to sing because he just has the itch to tap his toe and feel those chord progressions resonate down to his soul. The verses tell about how he's singing to her because he needs a subject, not because he's falling for her. My girlfriend thought the way he presented it was quite insulting, but then again, intentions are usually misunderstood and the guy usually ends up in trouble.

Unfortunately, my interpretation of this song was cracked by the music video. Trace spends the whole song singing to her as she seduces him from the bed. I thought, well maybe he's resisting her temptations by just writing this song about singing for the sake of music. But then I saw an interview with Trace on CMT where he explains how the song was actually a tongue-in-cheek love song similar to George Strait's "Ocean Front Property"

So, for me at least, this song transformed from an innovative, fresh take on country to just another pretty good song for the radio. I still like it, but it doesn't hold the same epic place in my music library that it initially did. However, the chord progressions in Dierks Bentley's "Up on the Ridge" are still incredible. That one is still holding its ground.

1 comment:

Roger Z said...

Dierks is a bit of a "newgrass" style song, lots of half-step progressions in it. I still don't know if I think it's really cool or not edgy enough. But year, I liked that Trace Adkins song until you explained it, too! :)